a) A __ is a person who damages and without violence.
b) A __ is person who enters a building illegally, especially by force, in order to steal.
c) A __ is a person who has taken someone away by force and is demanding money from her/his family, employers or government.
d) A __ is a person who steals money or property from a bank, shop, train, etc. Often she/he uses force.
e) A __ is a person who attacks and robs someone violently, usually in the street.
f) A __ is a person who deliberately and unlawfully kills another human being.
g) A Complete these sentences with a word from the Crimes and criminals table. __ is a person who sets fire to property on purpose.
h) A __ is a person who uses force to take control of an aeroplane, train, etc.
i) A __ is a person who steals things from shops.
Ex. 5. Read the following newspaper headlines and decide what type of crime is being referred to:
terrorism, tax evasion, kidnapping, mugging, burglary, arson, drunken driving, armed robbery, murder, vandalism, theft, assault, hijacking, assassination.
|1. FACTORY DESTROYED IN SUSPICIOUS BLAZE.||8. CHILD RUN OVER BY DRINK DRIVER.|
|2. PASSENGER HELD HOSTAGE* FOR 10 HOURS IN NIGHT OF TERROR.||9. THREE INJURED IN BANK HOLD UP*.|
|3. MILLIONAIRE ORDERED TO Complete these sentences with a word from the Crimes and criminals table. PAY £5 MILLION IN BACK TAXES.||10. PENSIONER ATTACKED AND ROBBED IN BROAD DAYLIGHT.|
|4. HOSTAGE RETURNED AS RANSOM PAID.||11. MAN SLAIN* IN HYDE PARK.|
|5. MEN ESCAPE WITH FAMILY HEIRLOOMS.||12. YOUTHS DESTROY TOWN HALL.|
|6. TEENS BEATEN UP AT ROCK CONCERT||13. 28 CARS STOLEN OVER WEEKEND.|
|7. 7. PRESIDENT KILLED BY SINGLE BULLET||14. GUNMAN FORCES PILOT TO LAND IN DESERT|
*hostage - заложник
*slay (slew, slain) - убивать, уничтожать, лишать жизни
*hold up - останавливать с целью грабежа
Ex. 6. Underline the correct word:
1) Burglars broke in / broke into and stole all our jewellery.
2) The escaped prisoner evaded / assaulted capture for 3 month until they found his hideout.
3) They say that Robin Hood robbed / intrudedthe rich and Complete these sentences with a word from the Crimes and criminals table. gave to the poor.
4) The gang held up the bank and robbed / stole£5 million.
5) The terrorists decided to kidnap / slaughterall the hostages if their demands were refused.
6) Three youths mugged / shopliftedthe old man in the street and took his wallet and watch.
7) He tore the clothes off the girl and trapped / rapedher.
8) He was arrested while trying to smuggle / forgedrugs into the country.
Ex. 7. Underline the correct item:
1) If you don’t want someone to burgle / steal your house, you should keep the doors and windows locked.
2) He keeps his bicycle securely chained so that no one will Complete these sentences with a word from the Crimes and criminals table. steal / rob it.
3) Two men attempted to burgle / rob the local bank, but the police arrived before they got away.
4) Instead of fining the man, the judge sent him to prison because he was a repeat offender / convict.
5) That terrorist is one of the world’s most wanted criminals / suspects.
6) The offender / suspect was set free because there was no evidence to prove that he was guilty.
7) The suspect / convict had been in prison for twenty years when he died.